This course is for you if:
- you want to communicate fluently during video calls
- you want to understand fast-talking native speakers in calls
- you need to solve problems when in a video call
- you need to make presentations via video calls in English
- you need to make your pronunciation and body language clear
This course is NOT for you if:
you are not working online;
you don’t want a self-paced learning experience;
you want a complete English learning course;
you want a person to talk to to practice.
FLUENCY SKILLS THE COURSE WILL TEACH
Friendly yet professional ways of speaking;
How to adjust the tone of your communication;
Collocations or words that often go together;
Frequently used business idioms;
Frequently used spoken shortcuts in grammar and vocabulary;
Ways to think out loud, buy time and avoid uncomfortable silences;
How the sound of your voice and spoken delivery affect meaning;
Advanced grammar used by native speakers that you can use, too.
Episodes in Series 1
GREETINGS AND OPENERS
How to be engaging and sound confident at the start of a video call
How to greet people in an engaging and confident way during video calls;
How to break the ice during the initial moments of a meeting;
How to transition from small talk to work-specific conversation.
Discussing agenda items, objectives and deadlines while participating in a video call
- How to speak about the agenda and deadlines.
- How to prioritize objectives clearly so everyone understands.
- How to move things along when time is crucial.
Taking turns, apologizing and interrupting to make suggestions during video call meetings and discussions
- How to politely interrupt with suggestions and recommendations.
- How to quickly apologize and move on.
- How to request your turn and assert your position in a discussion.
How to use gestures with transitions to make your meaning clear and
- How to use gestures effectively inside a video call window.
- How to clearly transition between ideas.
- How to connect ideas from one to the next so participants understand.
How to speak with confidence and argue your position during a video call discussion
- How to sound confident in your speaking.
- How to argue a position effectively.
- How to disagree and offer criticism politely.
EYES ON THE PRIZE
How to maintain viewer attention during video call presentations
- How to discuss ideas presented on slides.
- How to present in a sequence callers can easily follow when listening.
- How to direct others’ attention to the right part of a slide.
CUT THROUGH THE NOISE
How to keep on going through connection issues, interference and audio lag
- How to get a message across while having problems with the internet.
- How to communicate audio problems to participants.
- How to get back on track after a dropped call.
How to talk about documents, files and emails during a video call
- How to refer to past conversations and emails.
- How to say where a file or document is located.
- How to discuss the elements of a document so others can follow.
How to ask for and provide help with video call features, screen shares and whiteboards during a call
- How to describe what you see that others can’t see.
- How to communicate about video call controls.
- How to describe your problem with the video call software or app.
How to discuss plans of action, next steps and finalize video call meetings
- How to talk about future predictions and possibilities.
- How to discuss options and possibilities.
- How to express uncertainty and buy time to make a decision.
EXPECT NEW EPISODES AND SERIES ON A REGULAR BASIS!
What do I get with the course?
High-quality videos that are viewable on your tablet, e-reader, smartphone or computer screen.
How frequently will you be releasing videos?
We'll be creating at least 10 5-10 minute videos, and we will be releasing at least 1 video per week.
Can I ask questions?
Yes, we highly encourage it! You can ask questions in lesson discussions, online chat, or email. Please note that we can only answer questions related to the topic of the course.
I have another question - how can I contact you?
If you have any questions about the course, please email us – firstname.lastname@example.org – we’re happy to help. Please note that we can only answer questions related to the topic of the course.